Your comprehensive source for Tar Heel sports news

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

James
#1 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 2:21:25 PM(UTC)
James

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times communityTopic Starter: Has started at least one thread in the forumsNews Breaker: First to post a breaking news item in the forums
I always knew that the AAU basketball scene could be shady, but this...

For years, Curtis Malone has been the head of DC Assault, a powerhouse D.C. area basketball program. The success of Malone's players has given Malone a national profile, including status as a go-between between players and the colleges that want them and sponsorship for the program from Adidas.

Malone was arrested Friday in D.C. as part of a year-long DEA investigation. Agents who searched his home found what's believed to be kilo of cocaine, 100 grams of suspected heroin, a handgun, and unnamed items associated with heroin sales, according to court documents.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/2013/08/12/d-c-basketball-power-broker-curtis-malone-charged-in-drug-investigation/
mikeman1206
#2 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 3:37:51 PM(UTC)
mikeman1206

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times community
How long until an unemployed NC State fan connects him to a former UNC player?
James
#3 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 4:29:33 PM(UTC)
James

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times communityTopic Starter: Has started at least one thread in the forumsNews Breaker: First to post a breaking news item in the forums
Originally Posted by: mikeman1206 Go to Quoted Post
How long until an unemployed NC State fan connects him to a former UNC player?

LOL...I'm sure Dan Kane and the ring-leaders at Pack Pride are digging through public records right now trying to connect the dots. I mean, Fats Thomas has got to be involved in this somehow, right?
Super Gnat
#4 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 8:24:09 PM(UTC)
Super Gnat

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times communityTopic Starter: Has started at least one thread in the forums
As a former AAU coach (hockey), stuff like this really ticks me off! AAU needs to take a close look in what they are verse what their original objective was. They are already pretty much out of baseball. Soon they might be out of everything if they don't clean up their act!
James
#5 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 8:32:50 PM(UTC)
James

Originally Posted by: Super Gnat Go to Quoted Post
As a former AAU coach (hockey), stuff like this really ticks me off! AAU needs to take a close look in what they are verse what their original objective was. They are already pretty much out of baseball. Soon they might be out of everything if they don't clean up their act!

Unfortunately, it seems that too many AAU coaches are in it for the wrong reasons...shoe money, future NBA money, and possibly even college coaches' money. Some of the best coaches I ever had growing up were unpaid volunteers. I wish there were more guys like that around. If you ever get a chance to watch the documentary"Undefeated" about a volunteer inner-city high school football coach, I highly recommend it. It shows what youth coaching should really be all about.
James
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 11:49:28 AM(UTC)
James

I just read that Malone is former Duke guard Nolan Smith's step-father. Nolan's father died of a heart attack when Nolan was 9. That's a tough way to grow up.
Rss Feed