Your comprehensive source for Tar Heel sports news

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

se1119
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 11:03:02 AM(UTC)
se1119

Helmet Stickers: Topic Starter: Has started at least one thread in the forums
N.C. State has 12 out of the top 50 in the State of N.C. What up with that. I thought the Heels were in the living rooms of every recruit more?????
James
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:19:24 PM(UTC)
James

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times communityTopic Starter: Has started at least one thread in the forumsNews Breaker: First to post a breaking news item in the forums
Yet they still rank behind UNC...quality over quantity.

http://www.tarheeltimes.com/recruiting-class-rankings/acc/football/2014/
hammerheel68
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 8:16:08 PM(UTC)
hammerheel68

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times community
Originally Posted by: se1119 Go to Quoted Post
N.C. State has 12 out of the top 50 in the State of N.C. What up with that. I thought the Heels were in the living rooms of every recruit more?????

What's up is combination of a couple of things:

1) Our Staff liked the players in Ga and Va a little bit better than the NC players this year; I hope they were right.

2) Our scholarship limitations meant that , once again, we were 5 Schollys short

The combination of these 2 things left a lot of good players in NC to fall to state.  When you combine that with state's jr high schedule, plus 8 home games this year, things couldn't have fallen into place any better for dd and the woofies. 
tarheelwalker
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2013 4:24:16 PM(UTC)
tarheelwalker

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times community
I don't get how they constantly are allowed to have 8 home games almost every year
HeelFanMIkeB
#5 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 11:20:55 AM(UTC)
HeelFanMIkeB

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times communityTopic Starter: Has started at least one thread in the forums
Is this the last year of scholly limits?
James
#6 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 10:21:05 PM(UTC)
James

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times communityTopic Starter: Has started at least one thread in the forumsNews Breaker: First to post a breaking news item in the forums
Originally Posted by: HeelFanMIkeB Go to Quoted Post
Is this the last year of scholly limits?

Yes, this is the last year of scholarship reductions. UNC was reduced by 15 scholarships over 3 years. Instead of 75 scholarships (25 per year), they were reduced to 60 and will meet that threshold in February provided UNC signs no more than 22 players.  Here's how the numbers break down:

2012: Signed 21/25 (4 scholarship reduction)
2013: Signed 17/25 (8 scholarship reduction)
2014: 20/25 currently committed (5 scholarship reduction)

That puts UNC at 17 scholarship reductions over the past 3 years, meaning we can accept 2 more commitments in this class to meet the 15 reduction criteria. Someone feel free to correct me if my math is off, but this is the best I could come up with.
HeelFanMIkeB
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 1:44:12 AM(UTC)
HeelFanMIkeB

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times communityTopic Starter: Has started at least one thread in the forums
Thank god. I didn't think it was gonna be that the bad but its hurting our depth now. Hope 2015 is great class
Super Gnat
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 10:09:54 AM(UTC)
Super Gnat

Don't know why, but was thinking the scholly limit was 85 and we reduced 15 from that number over the three year period.   
James
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 11:00:51 AM(UTC)
James

Originally Posted by: Super Gnat Go to Quoted Post
Don't know why, but was thinking the scholly limit was 85 and we reduced 15 from that number over the three year period.   

Good point.  The NCAA's report outlines a reduction of 5 scholarships per year. I gather that the reductions can come from initial or current scholarships, but most schools opt to sign fewer recruits so they don't have to take away scholarships of existing players.  Here's the text from the NCAA's report on UNC. The full pdf document can be found here:

The institution will reduce by a total of 15 the number of both initial and total grants in aid over a three year period covering the 2012-13, 2013-14 and 2014-15 academic years. The institution proposed a reduction of nine initial and total grants over the same period. The reductions shall be applied as follows:

a. A reduction of five initial and total grants in aid for the 2012-13 academic year;
b. A reduction of five initial and total grants in aid for the 2013-14 academic year; and
c. A reduction of five initial and total grants in aid for the 2014-15 academic year.

Rss Feed