Your comprehensive source for Tar Heel sports news

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

James
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 18, 2013 10:17:44 AM(UTC)
James

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times communityTopic Starter: Has started at least one thread in the forumsNews Breaker: First to post a breaking news item in the forums
Steven Rhodes is a 24-year-old former sergeant in the Marines and a new member of the Middle Tennessee football team. But because he played in a military-only intramural football league last year, he must sit out this season per NCAA rules. Despite being a UNC opponent, I hope he's on the field when we play them September 7th.

"Rhodes finished his five years of active service in the Marines this summer, when he called MTSU coaches in hopes of landing a spot as a walk-on player for the Blue Raiders. They happily granted the request of the athletic 6-foot-3, 240-pound Marine sergeant. He has played both tight end and defensive end thus far in preseason camp. But not long after arriving on campus, Rhodes was told that his participation in a military-only recreational football league in 2012 would hinder his immediate eligibility to play Division I college football, per an NCAA rule."
http://www.dnj.com/article/20130818/SPORTS/308180046/Red-shirt-White-Blue-Marine-fighting-eligibility-play-MTSU-season

Super Gnat
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 18, 2013 8:00:04 PM(UTC)
Super Gnat

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times communityTopic Starter: Has started at least one thread in the forums
Well, I guess that rules out any eligibility I might still have.  I have to assume that Intramural flag football at Carolina counts as well. 
HeelFanMIkeB
#3 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 11:25:07 AM(UTC)
HeelFanMIkeB

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times communityTopic Starter: Has started at least one thread in the forums
Man the NCAA and their idiotic rules again
James
#4 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 9:05:41 PM(UTC)
James

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times communityTopic Starter: Has started at least one thread in the forumsNews Breaker: First to post a breaking news item in the forums
It looks like the NCAA wised up (or bowed to public pressure). Steven Rhodes is eligible immediately. Right call by the NCAA.  It's just too bad that they had to make the poor decision initially.

"As a part of its continued review of Steven Rhodes’ eligibility, NCAA staff determined he may play immediately. Additionally, he will maintain all four years of his eligibility. Throughout this process, NCAA staff worked closely with Middle Tennessee State University, and we appreciate the school’s partnership. As a part of the ongoing review of NCAA rules, our members will examine the organized competition rules, especially as it impacts those returning from military service. We thank Steven for his service to our country and wish him the best as he begins college."
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2013/august/mtsus+rhodes+to+compete+immediately

HeelFanMIkeB
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 1:52:26 AM(UTC)
HeelFanMIkeB

Thats twice this month they've backed off on sum stupid policies. Its refreshing in my opinion
Doc Flow
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:56:45 AM(UTC)
Doc Flow

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times community
Glad too see the NCAA did the right thing for once.
Rss Feed