Your comprehensive source for Tar Heel sports news

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
James
#1 Posted : Monday, September 09, 2013 9:47:09 PM(UTC)
James

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times communityTopic Starter: Has started at least one thread in the forumsNews Breaker: First to post a breaking news item in the forums
There's been so much basketball recruiting news of the past three days that I decided to consolidate it into one post so it'd be easier to digest:

The big announcement Monday was that 2014 5-star shooting guard Rashad Vaughn scheduled an official visit to UNC on September 27th. This news comes on the heels of fellow shooting guard Robert Johnson's visit to Chapel Hill over the weekend. Vaughn is scheduled to visit Baylor on October 18th, and Johnson has at least one more visit scheduled (FSU and perhaps others), so we'll likely get more clarity some time in October.  Obviously with these two, it's first-come-first-served for UNC's final 2014 slot. Hopefully one of them jumps on the Heels' bandwagon.

College coaches were allowed to begin off-campus visits on Monday. Roy Williams began his day in Greensboro visiting with 2014 commit Theo Pinson, and ended the day in Orlando, Florida with fellow 2014 commit Joel Berry:

Theo pinson ‏@tpinsonn
Had a great visit from my guy Coach Williams this morning! #tarheelnation #UNC #ready

Joel Berry II ‏@JoelBerryII
My man Coach Williams came to see me and my family tonight! Can't wait to play for him next year! #TarHeelNation

Speaking of Pinson, he announced via Twitter Monday evening that he will be making his official visit to UNC on December 14th to watch the Tar Heels play Kentucky:

Theo pinson ‏@tpinsonn
Taking my official visit to Carolina Dec 14th when they play Kentucky it is going to be crazy in the Dean Dome! Can't wait!! #UNC

Pinson was also invited to the Team USA mini-camp October 5-8 in Colorado Springs, Co. to train for the 2014 USA U18 national team. Pinson's high school teammate and UNC recruit Harry Giles will also attend, however he won't participate as he recovers from reconstructive knee surgery.
http://www.news-record.com/blogs/hsxtra/article_91188734-1974-11e3-ba9a-001a4bcf6878.html

Across the Triangle, UNC recruits Kwe Parker, Dennis Smith, Jr., and Brandon Ingram all took visits to NC State Saturday. Couple that news with the fact that 2014 4-star power forward Abdul Malik Abu committed to the Pack, and it was a big day in Rawlee.

Finally, 2015 shooting guard and UNC recruit Luke Kennard visited Kentucky Monday night to take in their alumni game.

And if you made it this far, thanks for reading all that
heelblue82
#2 Posted : Monday, September 09, 2013 10:03:27 PM(UTC)
heelblue82

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times community
James Blackmon has acknowledge that he has an offer. Whose it gonna be RJ, RV or JB?
James
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:57:34 AM(UTC)
James

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times communityTopic Starter: Has started at least one thread in the forumsNews Breaker: First to post a breaking news item in the forums
Originally Posted by: heelblue82 Go to Quoted Post
James Blackmon has acknowledge that he has an offer. Whose it gonna be RJ, RV or JB?

Thanks, 82. Yes, it appears Blackmon has an offer. Roy Williams is visiting Blackmon on Friday:
http://www.tarheeltimes.com/article50791.aspx

If Johnson commits to Indiana, Blackmon could commit to UNC. If Blackmon goes to Indiana, Johnson could commit to UNC. If Vaughn commits to Kentucky, Blackmon could commit to UNC. If Johnson commits to Indiana and Blackmon commits to Kentucky, then Vaughn could end up at UNC.  Etc, etc, etc.  It's pretty unpredictable right now, so we may just have to wait for the dominoes to fall.

twu662
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:03:21 AM(UTC)
twu662

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times community
Kentucky Alumni game...does anyone with expertise know what other alumni they are referring to before 2010 (i.e. before John Wall, Eric Bledsoe)?
heelblue82
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:21:46 AM(UTC)
heelblue82

iirc I read somewhere that this is Kennard's third trip to UK since his offer in July.  I don't like that one bit and I try not to read to much into what goes on at this stage with a 2015 recruit (still lots of recruiting time).  However you can't discount that and the fact him/family are UK fans.
twu662
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 11:57:28 AM(UTC)
twu662

I chalk that one up to proximity . Lexington is 1 hr from Cincy. It seems Hamilton is almost a northern suburb of Cincy. Admittedly, if I had access (i.e. I was a high D1 basketball player--which I'm not), I'd attend as games as I could at Carolina growing up. That just might make me a bigger fan. So, if you consider the Elijah Hood angle, yeah, UK may have it sewn up. But it's never done until that NLI.
HeelFanMIkeB
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:46:28 PM(UTC)
HeelFanMIkeB

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times communityTopic Starter: Has started at least one thread in the forums
After watching highlight tapes on Johnson and Vaughn I don't think we can go wrong if we get either. I haven't seen Blackmon on film yet. Vaughn seems to have a little more killer instinct in him and like his overall game a lil more. Blackmon is said to have the best jumpshot though. Can anyone talk more about Blackmons game?
Heelgirl78
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2013 11:49:46 AM(UTC)
Heelgirl78

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times communityTopic Starter: Has started at least one thread in the forums
Man, this makes me excited for the upcoming basketball season!  Ready for P(inson), B(erry) and J(ackson) !
heelblue82
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:39:16 PM(UTC)
heelblue82

Heelgirl78, your gonna have to wait one more season to get your PBJ fix. :)   

Edited by user Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:40:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Heelgirl78
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2013 9:21:27 PM(UTC)
Heelgirl78

Oh darn, you're right! Got so excited there that I jumped the gun a little bit! Oh well.. still ready for basketball!! 

Edited by user Thursday, September 12, 2013 9:22:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UNC'81
#11 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2013 10:25:06 PM(UTC)
UNC'81

No worries, Heelgirl78, you can get a (B)ritt, (L)eslie, (T)okoto fix this season while you wait on your PBJ.Flapper
cseury85
#12 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2013 9:40:27 AM(UTC)
cseury85

I have a feeling Johnson is going to commit to Indiana.  I have a  good feeling about Vaughn coming to UNC especially with his parents coming with him on this visit. Only problem is can he deal with not being the go to guy.
twu662
#13 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2013 1:16:10 PM(UTC)
twu662

You mean he'll re-commit to IU. He was a long time commit before he de-committed... Should that matter? It seems, when recruits (or perhaps high profile recruits) "re-open" their commitments, they don't end up at the same school again.
heelblue82
#14 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2013 2:25:34 PM(UTC)
heelblue82

Originally Posted by: twu662 Go to Quoted Post
You mean he'll re-commit to IU. He was a long time commit before he de-committed... Should that matter? It seems, when recruits (or perhaps high profile recruits) "re-open" their commitments, they don't end up at the same school again.

I could definitely be misremembering but I don't think Robert Johnson ever committed to IU.  I know that James Blackmon was a longtime IU commit that recently decommitted and received an offer from UNC after the decomitt.
heelblue82
#15 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2013 2:28:05 PM(UTC)
heelblue82

Originally Posted by: cseury85 Go to Quoted Post
I have a feeling Johnson is going to commit to Indiana.  I have a  good feeling about Vaughn coming to UNC especially with his parents coming with him on this visit. Only problem is can he deal with not being the go to guy.
  I kinda have a good feeling about Vaughn as well, however if RJ does commit before RV's OV then I would still be a very happy Tar Heel!! IMO I think Vaughn would be the go to guy and alpha scorer on the team. Who do you see as the go to guy?
heelblue82
#16 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2013 2:29:22 PM(UTC)
heelblue82

Originally Posted by: UNC'81 Go to Quoted Post
No worries, Heelgirl78, you can get a (B)ritt, (L)eslie, (T)okoto fix this season while you wait on your PBJ.Flapper
Very clever!!!
cseury85
#17 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2013 2:56:02 PM(UTC)
cseury85

I think RJ is another leslie Mcdonald.  I could see one of the Bigs becoming a big part of UNCs offense.  

I am pretty excited to see Leslie be able to get more minutes while PJ is out.  I have always been a fan of his just needed more PT.

twu662
#18 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2013 3:04:30 PM(UTC)
twu662

I could definitely be misremembering but I don't think Robert Johnson ever committed to IU.  I know that James Blackmon was a longtime IU commit that recently decommitted and received an offer from UNC after the decomitt.

You were right...I misread.  I meant Blackmon...but you didn't (obviously).  Sorry.
heelblue82
#19 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2013 3:15:35 PM(UTC)
heelblue82

You were right...I misread.  I meant Blackmon...but you didn't (obviously).  Sorry.
All good partner! But I 100% agree with you that when a recruit decommits they very rarely if ever go back to that same school. Which is one of the reasons IU is going so hard after Johnson and Whitehead, Crean knows Blackmon isn't coming back and neither is Lyles.
James
#20 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2013 8:29:40 PM(UTC)
James

Roy Williams was in Indiana watching James Blackmon workout today and followed that up with an in-home visit this evening. Roy was also in South Carolina Wednesday to visit 2015 point guard P.J. Dozier.

James Blackmon Jr. ‏@JBlackmon2
Coach Roy Williams came to visit today

Edited by user Friday, September 13, 2013 9:25:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed 
3 Pages123>