Your comprehensive source for Tar Heel sports news

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

se1119
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2013 3:28:49 PM(UTC)
se1119

Helmet Stickers: Topic Starter: Has started at least one thread in the forums
If anyone ran a regular business the way our defensive co-ordinator has the last 12+ ballgames  he would be fired!
UNC13
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2013 3:54:56 PM(UTC)
UNC13

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times communityTopic Starter: Has started at least one thread in the forums
I totally agree! Disch and Gilmore along with Vic should get an even share of criticism! You would think Vic would have the D looking good according to what he did at Illinois, but that hasn't be the case BY FAR! Our Defense is simply horrible when it comes to tackling. What evaluation process does Vic, Disch and Gilmore use to determind a players skill set to be awarded a starting spot on D because tackling CAN'T part of that process!
James
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 29, 2013 1:51:31 AM(UTC)
James

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times communityTopic Starter: Has started at least one thread in the forumsNews Breaker: First to post a breaking news item in the forums
Is there any major football program that has run the 4-2-5 scheme with consistent success? This isn't a rhetorical question, I honestly don't know of any.
donald007
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 29, 2013 4:45:57 PM(UTC)
donald007

AWFUL DEFENSE this week and all this season.  The defensive coaches came here to stop the other teams offense.  It hasn't happen.  It didn't happen at their former colleges before these coaches got here.  They brought a defensive scheme that hasn't worked.
They have talented kids but the "plan" just doesn't work.  They don't tackle with the hands, the offensive line hasn't placed pressure on the QB, nor has the linebacker (how ever you call them) and the defensive backs make most of the tackles .............if they aren't chasing the receivers who have gotten past them.  It's just AWFUL. 

HeelFanMIkeB
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 10, 2013 5:36:33 AM(UTC)
HeelFanMIkeB

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times communityTopic Starter: Has started at least one thread in the forums
Well the defense has played much better the last few weeks. The schemes seem pretty sound if our guys are in position and make open field tackles. The D line has played much better and that has made all the difference though. It has kept o linemen of our linebackers and allowed them to make TFLs and the QB pressure has kept the DBs from having to cover for so long. DL play is the key for all defenses IMO.
James
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 10, 2013 9:07:33 AM(UTC)
James

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times communityTopic Starter: Has started at least one thread in the forumsNews Breaker: First to post a breaking news item in the forums
The defense has looked much better the last couple of weeks. I think it's helped that the coaches have pared down the defensive playbook so the players can spend more time reacting and less time thinking.

Super Gnat
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 10, 2013 8:50:13 PM(UTC)
Super Gnat

Given what USC has done since, that performance doesn't look so bad now.
TAR!(nation)
#8 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 5:07:49 PM(UTC)
TAR!(nation)

Helmet Stickers: Topic Starter: Has started at least one thread in the forums
Since Miami game, which those TarHeels played well, I have seen a subtle shift towards a 4-3 cover defense with the addition of Mikey Bart as the end pass rusher/cover backer. Defense has been the cataylist is the last 3 wins including a secondary which has limited opponents to I believe 3 pass TDs. Let's all remain calm and allow this staff to crawl to a walk then in more time a full sprint.
tarheeltatman
#9 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 7:01:18 PM(UTC)
tarheeltatman

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times community
It seems injuries and lack of depth have really  hurt at times. I know Shak came back this week and played well, whereas previously he was listed as done for the year with an injury.  I also wonder if some of the young pups are being held back for RS reasons, I know we had two highly touted signees from NJ on the D line but I haven't seen them play this year (Webb, Drennon I think)?
Rss Feed