Your comprehensive source for Tar Heel sports news

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

UNC'80
#1 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 8:47:23 AM(UTC)
UNC'80

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times communityTopic Starter: Has started at least one thread in the forums
I am an unabashed Tar Heel.  I graduated from "the hill" in 1980.  I love Carolina athletics.  Having said all that, the coaches in all sports need to have a sit down with the STUDENT athletes and make it crystal clear that the University and it's commitment to excellence and education will not tolerate cheating or rule breaking.  Period.  Any rule breaking should be dealt with FAST.  No if's, and's or but's.  We need STUDENT athletes.  The rules are easy to understand.  If you need to be a "big man" go do it someplace else.
James
#2 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 4:56:02 PM(UTC)
James

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times communityTopic Starter: Has started at least one thread in the forumsNews Breaker: First to post a breaking news item in the forums
Originally Posted by: UNC'80 Go to Quoted Post
I am an unabashed Tar Heel.  I graduated from "the hill" in 1980.  I love Carolina athletics.  Having said all that, the coaches in all sports need to have a sit down with the STUDENT athletes and make it crystal clear that the University and it's commitment to excellence and education will not tolerate cheating or rule breaking.  Period.  Any rule breaking should be dealt with FAST.  No if's, and's or but's.  We need STUDENT athletes.  The rules are easy to understand.  If you need to be a "big man" go do it someplace else.

I agree that we could use a few more "students" among our "student-athletes", but it's always a trade-off in big-time college athletics where such an emphasis is placed on winning. Coaches' jobs are dependent on their win-loss records, and more wins equal more filled stadiums and booster donations. Money is steering the ship now.

There are very few schools that can pull off this balance of athletics and academics. UNC has done a good job with this until recently.  Stanford, Vanderbilt, Northwestern and a few others also come to mind. But if fans want to truly embrace the student-athlete model, they'll likely have to settle for fewer victories, especially in football where there are so many more players involved.
Super Gnat
#3 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 8:19:15 PM(UTC)
Super Gnat

Helmet Stickers: Founding Member: Original member of the Tar Heel Times communityTopic Starter: Has started at least one thread in the forums
I wish all sports would adopt the baseball model. It does keep kids who can't hack it in school from tarnishing the academic reputation of the university. Of course, then there are rogue professors. Confused
Rss Feed