North Carolina vs. Duke Football Postgame Notes
Posted Oct 16, 2022
UNC Football claimed a nail-biting 38-35 ACC Coastal Division victory over the Duke Blue Devils on Saturday night in Durham. Here are notes and stats from the Tar Heels' victory. Game Captains: John Copenhaver, Josh Downs, Kevin Hester. North Carolina is 3-0 in the ACC Standings and 6-1 overall (4-0 on the road). Duke falls to 4-3, 1-2.
- The Tar Heels are bowl eligible for the fourth year in a row under head coach Mack Brown.
- The victory gives UNC four-straight road victories for the first time since the 2016 team won its first four away games. Carolina now has road wins this season at App State, Georgia State, Miami, and Duke.
- UNC improves to 65-40-11 against Duke and has won four-straight games over the Blue Devils, the longest streak since Carolina won eight in a row from 2004-2011.
- The Tar Heels are 32-19-2 against Duke in Durham.
- Mack Brown is 271-140-1 all-time as a head coach, including 96-64-1 as UNC’s head coach.
- Brown has won 12 in a row over the Blue Devils and is 12-2 all-time against Duke (6-1 at Wallace Wade Stadium).
- Drake Maye found Antoine Green in the front right corner of the end zone with 16 seconds to play in the fourth quarter for the go-ahead and game-winning score.
- It was the first time UNC scored in the final minute to win since 2016 when Mitch Trubisky hit Bug Howard with a 2-yard TD pass with two seconds to play in a 37-36 win at Kenan Stadium.
- Red-shirt freshman quarterback Drake Maye completed 28 of 38 passes tonight for a career-high 380 passing yards and three touchdowns. He also had 70 rushing yards to compile 450 total yards. He has at least 300 yards of total offense in six of the seven games (season-low is 299 against Georgia State).
- Maye has accounted for 27 touchdowns (24 passing, three rush) in the first seven games.
- Maye has thrown 24 touchdown passes, the most by a Tar Heel in the first seven games in a season. The previous high was 20 by Sam Howell in 2019.
- Maye’s 28 completions were one shy of his season/career high (29 vs. Florida A&M) but his most in an ACC game.
- Maye’s 24 touchdowns are tied for the most in any seven consecutive games in program history. Howell had 24 TD passes in 2019 (Georgia Tech through NC State) games of his freshman campaign.
- Maye’s 2,332 passing yards are the most by a Tar Heel in the first seven games of a season. The previous high was Howell’s 2,081 yards in 2020.
- Maye has thrown multiple TD passes in all seven games this season (five, four, two, five, three, two and three, respectively).
Courtesy UNC Athletics Communications
Related: Football, Football Recruiting
Before Watson and Mack Brown were college football coaches, they were high school icons in Tennessee
Watson and Mack Brown were always together growing up in Putnam County, Tennessee, playing together on the football field, basketball court, and baseball diamond. The...Wed Feb 8, 2023
Thunder From Down Under: Punter Tom Maginness' Journey to UNC
Before last Monday's press conference, UNC football coach Mack Brown shared a note with reporters that the ceiling of UNC's indoor practice facility was a...
Tue Feb 7, 2023
Cornerback Alijah Huzzie Arrives at UNC with Expectations of Seizing Great Opportunity
UNC Football added two cornerbacks through the transfer portal in East Tennessee State star Alijah Huzzie and Virginia Tech’s Armani Chatman, who come to Carolina...
Tue Feb 7, 2023
Kent State transfer receiver Devontez Walker named UNC's top newcomer by ESPN
The Tar Heels lose their top two wide receivers in Josh Downs and Antoine Green, so it makes sense why North Carolina would bring in...
Mon Feb 6, 2023