UNC Basketball Week in Review: Keita Arrives, Trimble Transfers, Jordan Page Offered
Posted Aug 17, 2026
It was a full week for the North Carolina Basketball program — a departure, a long-awaited arrival, a five-star offer, and a handful of alumni stories. Here's this week's UNC Basketball and Recruiting Week in Review.
Seth Trimble spent four seasons in Chapel Hill. Late Tuesday night, he announced he's transferring to ACC rival Louisville for a fifth. "Carolina, I've had the best four years that anybody could ask for," Trimble said in his announcement, and it didn't take long for former teammates to voice their reactions publicly.
The move had been building since spring, when Trimble entered the transfer portal believing his college career was over under the rules at the time. He then tested the NBA Draft process. By the time a court ruling this summer opened up a fifth season for players in his high school class, UNC's roster had already filled out, and Louisville became his landing spot instead.
Trimble says he still considers Chapel Hill home. Michael Malone issued a statement Wednesday, saying: "Seth will always be a Tar Heel." AD Steve Newmark also released a statement on the transfer. It's the kind of departure that's become common in this new era of instant eligibility rulings and player movement — a great player, a fan favorite, but timing that just didn't work out.
UNC Basketball now has three new big men, and the last of them arrived over the weekend.
Sayon Keita, a 7-foot freshman from Bamako, Mali, spent his last four years playing professionally in Spain. After clearing the visa process at the U.S. embassy in Madrid, he landed at Raleigh-Durham International Airport on Saturday night — just in time for Monday's start of fall classes.
Coach Michael Malone and associate head coach Chuck Martin drove to the airport themselves to welcome him, a moment Spencer Haskell captured and shared to more than 100,000 views on social media.
Keita's arrival caps a frontcourt reconstruction that's defined Malone's first offseason. Fellow newcomers Neoklis Avdalas and Alexandros Samodurov are in town too, having turned down invitations to represent Greece in FIBA World Cup qualifying so they could report to Chapel Hill on time.
What the roster looks like now
With every roster spot filled, the shape of Malone's first team has come into focus. The early word on the projected starting five: Terrence Brown, Avdalas, and Matt Able in the backcourt, with Jarin Stevenson and transfer center Cameron Fens up front.
UNC will get two live tests before the games count. The Tar Heels face USC in an exhibition in Greensboro on Friday, Oct. 9, then travel to Indianapolis nine days later to face Indiana.
The recruiting behind the roster
Malone's staff isn't done building. Five-star 2027 wing Jordan Page — a Raleigh native finishing his high school career at IMG Academy — announced a UNC offer this week.
Duke has also entered the picture for five-star forward Demarcus Henry, who already holds an offer from UNC, setting up another Tobacco Road recruiting battle.
And center Lewis Uvwo, a longtime UNC target, is coming off a huge summer. He jumped from No. 94 to No. 6 in the national rankings after being named MVP of the adidas ABCD Camp.
Antawn Jamison on the Malone hire — and his all-time UNC five
Former UNC star Antawn Jamison, who played a real role in bringing Malone to Chapel Hill, spoke at length about that process and what it was like playing for Malone in the NBA. "In terms of X's and O's, he's one of the best to ever do it," Jamison said.
In a separate piece, Jamison also took a crack at picking his all-time UNC starting five — Phil Ford at the point, Michael Jordan at the two, and a roster of names that'll spark plenty of debate.
Armando Bacot opens up on his NIL earnings
Former Tar Heel forward Armando Bacot, now playing overseas for Maccabi Tel Aviv, opened up about his UNC-era NIL earnings in an interview with fellow alum Theo Pinson. "I had no clue," he admitted, describing the jump from a broke college kid to, in his words, suddenly being a millionaire.
Cole Anthony's unprecedented move to Australia
Former UNC guard Cole Anthony's decision to sign with Melbourne United drew a feature article from ESPN this week, and for good reason — it's a genuinely unusual career move. Every prior NBA player who's joined an NBL team did so on the way out of the NBA, either near the end of their career or once the best opportunities had dried up. Anthony, by contrast, is doing it while still squarely in his prime, which is part of what makes his choice fascinating.
Smith Center debate resurfaces
Finally, the long-simmering debate over men's basketball's future home picked back up this week, as advocates pushing to keep a new arena on South Campus — rather than the Carolina North site UNC has floated — turned up the volume on their campaign. It's a facilities story more than a basketball one, but it's worth keeping an eye on given how much it could shape the program's next era.
That's the week. Plenty more to come as classes start Monday and the full roster gets its first real chance to work together on campus.
With Sayon Keita clearing a key hurdle standing between him and a UNC Basketball jersey, his arrival completes a frontcourt reconstruction that has been at...