Morehead Planetarium, The First of Its Kind in the South

On May 10, 1949, the Morehead Planetarium opened on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill. It was first planetarium in the South, the first planetarium on a university campus and the sixth planetarium to be built nationwide. The planetarium was primarily a gift of John Motley Morehead III, an 1891 graduate and founder of Union Carbide Corporation. (NC Department of Natural and Cultural Resources)

Share: Facebook | Twitter | Email


Recent Campus Connections News:

Video: Freshmen move-in day at UNC

Meet a New Tar Heel: Former Olympian Rachael Flatt

UNC ranks 30th in 2018 Academic Ranking of World Universities

Carolina's newest Tar Heels: By the numbers

Chapel Hill’s Merritt’s Grill Opening Location in UNC Dining Hall

© 2005-2018 Tar Heel Times | Contact | Privacy Policy | Site Map | RSS | Did UNC Win?

Tar Heel Times is an unofficial resource for UNC fans and is not affiliated with the University of North Carolina.