North Carolina vs. Pittsburgh Football Postgame Notes
Posted Oct 30, 2022
North Carolina Football claimed a thrilling 42-24 ACC Coastal Division victory over the Pittsburgh Panthers on Saturday night in Chapel Hill. Here are notes and stats from the Tar Heels' victory. Game Captains: Cedric Gray, Elijah Green, Drake Maye. UNC is now 4-0 in the ACC Standings and 7-1 overall. Pittsburgh falls to 4-4, 1-3 on the season.
- North Carolina improved to 7-1 and is 4-0 in ACC play for the first time since going 8-0 in 2015.
- North Carolina and Pitt met for the 16th time in a series that began in 1974.
- North Carolina leads the series 11-5 and is 7-0 at home against the Panthers.
- This was only the fourth time in the series that a game was decided by more than 10 points. It was the first game decided by over 10 points since 10/10/98.
- Mack Brown is 272-140-1, including a 97-64-1 record in 14 seasons as head coach of the Tar Heels. Brown is 1-2 all-time against Pitt.
- North Carolina is now 131-66-4 overall and 75-23-2 at home as a ranked team.
- This was the second time North Carolina has faced Pitt as a ranked team. The first was a 7-6 loss at Pitt in 1982, North Carolina was ranked No. 5.
- This is the first time North Carolina has trailed after three quarters but rallied to win since overcoming a 48-34 deficit to Wake Forest on 11/6/21.
- North Carolina wore a Blue/Blue/Blue uniform combination for the first time since 10/16/21, a 45-42 win against Miami in Kenan Stadium. North Carolina is 7-1 in that uniform combination since 2013.
- Redshirt freshman QB Drake Maye completed 34 of 44 passing attempts for 388 yards and five TDs.
- Maye added 61 rushing yards on 14 attempts.
- Maye threw over 300 passing yards for the fifth-straight game and sixth time this season.
- Maye’s 34 completions broke Sam Howell’s previous school record of 33 for most completions as a freshman.
- Maye is now the nation’s leader in TDs responsible for, with 32.
- Maye is the nation’s co-leader in passing TDs, he’s tied at 29 with Ohio State’s C.J. Stroud.
- Maye also leads the country in total offense (388.8 yards per game)
- Maye’s 29 passing TDs breaks former Pitt QB Kenny Pickett’s ACC record for most passing TDs through eight games in a season.
- North Carolina attempted 45 passes, the most since Sam Howell threw 45 against Wake Forest on 11/14/20.
- Drake Maye currently leads the ACC in passing touchdowns, yards, and completion percentage.
- Senior WR Antoine Green had a career-high in receptions and receiving yards, going for 180 yards on 10 catches. Green’s 180 receiving yards is North Carolina’s season high, and the most since Josh Downs had 203 receiving yards against UVA on 9/18/21.
- Green tied his career-high in receiving TDs, with two. That brings him to 6 TDs for the season and 14 for his career.
- Green’s 180 receiving yards is the most in a single game in the ACC this season. Passing Kaleb Smith’s 152 receiving yards for Pitt against Virginia Tech on October 8th.
- WR Josh Downs recorded 11 receptions and 102 receiving yards, tying his career-high for receptions. Downs caught two TD passes, bringing his total to seven for the season.
- Downs is tied for seventh on North Carolina’s career receiving TD list, with 18.
- Downs’ 11 receptions are the highest single-game total in the ACC this season.
- This was the second-straight game where Downs and Green recorded over 100 receiving yards.
- RS Freshman WR Kobe Paysour caught one one-yard pass for one TD reception. His TD brings him to three for his career.
- TE John Copenhaver recorded a career-high three catches and had 13 receiving yards.
- LB RaRa Dillworth recorded his first career sack. He finished with two tackles.
- DL Jahvaree Ritzie had a season-high five tackles, 0.5 for loss.
- LB Cedric Gray forced his second fumble of the season and recovered his first of the season, occurring on the same fourth-quarter play.
- Gray led the Tar Heels in tackles with nine.
- DB Storm Duck tied his season-high in tackles with six and recorded his first tackle-forloss of the season.
- DL Travis Shaw tied his season-high in tackles with two.
- LB Jalen Brooks recorded his first career tackle.
- Downs had a 23-yard punt return in the fourth quarter, his season-high.
Courtesy UNC Athletics Communications
Related: Football, Football Recruiting
Wide Receiver Transfer Nate McCollum Sees Right Fit at UNC
Nate McCollum is a wide receiver and punt returner, and North Carolina needs both. McCollum officially joined the Tar Heels when the new semester began...Wed Feb 8, 2023
Before Watson and Mack Brown were college football coaches, they were high school icons in Tennessee
Watson and Mack Brown were always together growing up in Putnam County, Tennessee, playing together on the football field, basketball court, and baseball diamond. The...
Wed Feb 8, 2023
Thunder From Down Under: Punter Tom Maginness' Journey to UNC
Before last Monday's press conference, UNC football coach Mack Brown shared a note with reporters that the ceiling of UNC's indoor practice facility was a...
Tue Feb 7, 2023
Cornerback Alijah Huzzie Arrives at UNC with Expectations of Seizing Great Opportunity
UNC Football added two cornerbacks through the transfer portal in East Tennessee State star Alijah Huzzie and Virginia Tech’s Armani Chatman, who come to Carolina...
Tue Feb 7, 2023