UNC vs. App State Postgame Notes
Posted Sep 10, 2023
This was UNC's first overtime victory since defeating Virginia Tech in 2015, breaking a streak of six straight overtime losses. Running back Omarion Hampton rushed for career-high 234 yards on 26 carries. Drake Maye passed Jason Stanicek for seventh place in UNC history with 5,729 total offense yards (Stanicek totaled 5,497 from 1991-94).
• The Tar Heels improve to 3-1 against App State.
• Carolina improves to 2-0, while Appalachian State falls to 1-1.
• Mack Brown is 276-144-1, including a 101-68-1 record in 15 seasons as head coach of the Tar Heels.
• Carolina is now 5-10 in overtime games, including 2-4 in multiple OT games.
• This was UNC’s second win ever in a multiple-OT game (also vs. Tennessee in 2010 in the Music City Bowl in Nashville).
• This marked the first time UNC has played back-to-back overtime games at Kenan Stadium (lost to NC State in double overtime last season).
• The Tar Heels are 2-0 for the 10th time in Mack Brown’s 15 seasons as UNC’s head coach.
• Brown improves to 13-2 in home openers at Kenan Stadium, 5-0 since his return in 2019.
• Since Mack Brown’s return to Chapel Hill in 2019, the Tar Heels improve to 12-4 versus in-state opponents (including ACC games).
• Carolina is 52-22 as a ranked team in Mack Brown’s 15 seasons.
• Carolina’s 40 points were the most scored without a passing touchdown since the Tar Heels scored 42 against Georgia Southern in 2009.
• It was Carolina’s first win without a passing touchdown since 2015 against Virginia.
• This was the 20th time the Tar H eels have scored 40 or more points since Brown returned to UNC in 2019.
• Carolina gained 527 yards. The Tar Heels have won eight straight times they gained 500 yards and 11 in a row when they gain 400 or more. It was the 23rd time since Brown returned UNC gained 500 or more yards.
• Drake Maye is 7-3 as a starter in games decided by one score.
• Maye passed Stanicek and Mitch Trubisky in passing yards with 4,887 (Stanicek threw for 4,683 and Trubisky passed for 4,762 from 2014-16).
• Maye also passed Trubisky in completions with 394 (Trubisky had 386). It was his 20th game as a starter with 20 or more completions.
• Carolina rushed for 319 yards, most since rushing for 330 against Wake Forest on November 6, 2021.
• It was Carolina’s first 200-yard rushing game since Ty Chandler gained 213 against Wake Forest in 2021. It was the 27th time a Tar Heel has rushed for 200 yards in a game.
• Hampton's 68-yard rushing touchdown in the second quarter was the longest run of his career.
• Hampton set a career high with three rushing touchdowns. It was the first time a Tar Heel had three rushing touchdowns in a game since Chandler had four vs. Wake Forest in 2021.
• Hampton also rushed for two touchdowns in week one vs. South Carolina and is the first Tar Heel to record multiple rushing touchdowns in consecutive games since Chandler in 2021.
• Hampton is the first Tar Heel to rush for five TDs in the first two games since at least 1995.
• Caleb Hood’s 5-yard rushing touchdown was the second TD carry of his career and his first since Virginia in 2021.
• Hampton rushed for 101 yards in the 2022 home opener against Florida A&M. He is the first Tar Heel to rush for more than 100 yards in back-to-back home openers since Ethan Horton in 1982 vs. Vanderbilt and 1983 vs. Memphis.
• WR Nate McCollum made his first appearance as a Tar Heel and had one reception for eight yards.
• JJ Jones' 57-yard reception, which set up a Hampton touchdown, was the second longest of his career.
• WR Kobe Paysour led the Tar Heels with eight receptions for 73 yards.
• LT Diego Pounds made his first career start in place of Ed Montilus (lower body injury).
• RB British Brooks did not play (lower body injury).
• LB Cedric Gray led UNC with 11 tackles. It was his 12th career game with double-digit tackles.
• Desmond Evans tied his career high with six tackles (last year at App State).
• DB Don Chapman’s interception was the fourth of his career and first since 2020 against NC State.
• DB Marcus Allen set his career high with three pass breakups.
• Ryan Coe’s 47-yard FG in the second quarter was Carolina’s longest since Noah Burnette made a 47-yard FG at App State in 2022.
Courtesy UNC Athletics Communications
Aranza Vazquez has proven herself as a trailblazer at North Carolina, underscored by the accolades she’s amassed, such as the 2023 ACC Women’s Diver of...