Menu

January 15, 1975: UNC Opened Its Doors, With Little Fanfare


On a cold and muddy winter morning 230 years ago, UNC officially opened its doors, though it didn’t have many doors to open. On Jan. 15, 1795, in a sparsely attended ceremony, Gov. Richard Dobbs Spaight and presiding professor the Rev. David Kerr inspected the recently completed two-story brick building that was The University of North Carolina. (Carolina Alumni Review)

Related:

These UNC summer camps bring the wow
Oooohs from kids crouching eye-to-eye with a praying mantis or studying salamanders in a creek. Aaaahs of children holding a space rock or trying to...

Tar Heels in the know give Dublin tips
Dr. Sinéad Loughran spent four years away from her native Dublin to attend UNC and play field hockey. Senior Wilson Weingast spent a semester studying...

UNC Football's Trip to Ireland 'Much More Than a Game'
UNC Football kicks off its season in Dublin, Ireland, playing Texas Christian University on Aug. 29 in the Aer Lingus College Football Classic. But the...

‘Witness’ Carolina’s role in the Revolutionary War
To commemorate America’s 250th birthday, Wilson Library is hosting a new exhibition. “Witnesses to the Revolution: North Carolina and the War for Independence” explores how...

January 15, 1975: UNC Opened Its Doors, With Little Fanfare